Each of us has a journey – a path that is ours to travel. I know when I’m walking on my path that everything is easy and that I can effortlessly achieve all my goals – and more!
I recently took some time out to look back at the things I had achieved and the challenges I had overcome in the past 12 months, and it became clear to me that the times that were really hard were always attached to needing the approval of other people.
The more I walked in my own shoes – instead of trying to make someone else’s shoes fit – the easier my life became. The easier my life became, the more I could easily identify the things that were the right ‘fit’ for me to be doing. The more I did the things that were right for me, the healthier and happier I became.
Looking back and reflecting, I noticed that for years I had become really comfortable in my comfort zone, and that I was stuck in the thought that ‘doing something differently’ was way too hard.
Having taken steps to live my life differently, and having achieved the things I’ve achieved in the last 12 months, I know that life being hard was simply a story that I had been telling myself every day.
YOU write YOUR own story every day – so why not consider writing a new chapter for yourself?
Here are my top five tips that might help you to stop needing the approval of others, so that you too can start living your life differently:
- Know what your values are. When you know your values, you can align your life to them, making it easy to quickly and clearly see the things that are important to you.
- Live and let live. It is more than OK for people to think differently. Let other people have their opinion … but decide for yourself what is right for you.
- Start asking yourself questions that matter. Check in with yourself and ask yourself how you feel about something before making a decision about whether or not you want to do it. Doing this means that you will be better able to consciously decide what is the right fit for you.
- Spend more time with like-minded people. Spending time with people who don’t always agree with you – but who support you in your decision-making process and allow you to make your own decisions – will make it easier for you to find your own path.
- Drop the judgement. Judgement is an activity that has no purpose other than to create negative energy in our lives. When you remove judgement – of yourself and others – from your day, you open up loads of time and space to do things that are more important.
If you can move past the point of craving the approval of others, and bring your focus back to concentrating on what is – and isn’t – working for you, then you will probably also find yourself in a life that has loads less stress and significantly increased resilience. You might also find that it is way easier to make changes in your life.
Want more info on ways that you can easily find your own path? There are loads of tips and tricks on living and thinking differently in my book ‘Keep It Super Simple’ – you can buy a copy from www.sheiqlife.com/shop.
Want to chat? Email me on firstname.lastname@example.org or call me on +61 438 624 868 and we’ll set up a time!
Bronwen Sciortino is a Simplicity Expert, Professional Speaker and the author of ‘Keep It Super Simple – Tips from a Recovering Perfectionist’. Join the conversation by subscribing to the tribe at www.sheiqlife.com; Facebook, Instagram, or LinkedIn.