I often speak to audiences of different ages, at different life stages and through different mediums, all around the world. In almost every situation, one of the questions I get asked the most is … ‘I know you say it’s easy … but how do I actually start?’.
There’s a common theme that pops up in every audience, whether it’s live or in the virtual world. That theme is this: there is a belief that life wasn’t meant to be easy.
That belief is drummed into us from a very young age, when we’re faced with challenges and with things that happen that really don’t seem to be all that fair.
I used to be the biggest believer in ‘living on struggle street’ – I had mastered the art of having a tough life, full of uphill battles, challenges, stress and exhaustion. It wasn’t until I experienced my own ‘life threatening’ event that I gained the clarity to see that living that way is completely our own choice.
Woah! I hear you say … that’s easy for you to say – you know nothing about MY life!
Yes – that’s true. I don’t know anything about your life. I can only speak with the wisdom and knowledge that my life has given to me. I can only share the clarity that I gained from the experiences I had, and from working with people all over the world and seeing the common threads amongst our lives.
BUT … I can tell you that in my experience there is a different way to live, and changing just one small thing right now – doing just one small thing in a slightly different way – can change the way you look at things. And sometimes, that’s all it takes to put your life on a completely different track.
Living differently can be really simple when you take the easy path in life. For example, simply choosing a couple of the following things and taking small steps to practice them every day can change the way you see things:
- Get curious about YOUR life. Start asking yourself a few simple questions that can help you to work out the things you do – and don’t want to be doing – in your life. You can get some great examples of this from my free email series ‘7 steps to living differently’.
- Remove the words ‘success’ and ‘failure’ from your vocabulary. These two little words have so much power in our lives. When everything rests on whether or not we’re successful at something, we can become frozen and too afraid to try anything new. Try replacing these words with ‘adventure’ and ‘explore’, and use the results as a way to determine which direction your life takes. If something doesn’t work then that’s amazing – because you know you don’t have to keep on going in that direction. If it does work then fantastic – you know you need to keep going that way.
- Say sorry a little less often. How often do you apologise – every day? Try apologising a little less and giving yourself love a little bit more. For example, if you’re running late for something, try saying ‘thanks for waiting for me’ rather than ‘I’m sorry I’m late’. Chances are, if it was your friend who was running late you’d have compassion for them, so apply that to yourself and see the difference it makes in how you feel about yourself.
- Be a little kinder to yourself. We tend to hold a lot of love and compassion in our hearts for those around us, but we forget to extend those same principles to ourselves. Find a few moments every day to give positive thoughts and comments to yourself – exactly the same way you would for your friends. A kind word never goes astray – especially when you direct it to yourself.
- Know the most important things in your life. What are the things that mean that most to you? What are you passionate about? Know these things and then actively find ways to make sure they are in your life. When you focus on having these things, you will always be connected to the things you love.
Hopefully you’ve noticed that there is absolutely nothing in these 5 things that is expensive or hard for you to have. Getting started is as simple as choosing one of the things from the list, putting your big toe in the water and trying it for yourself. Give yourself permission to explore how it feels to experience that thing in a different way.
Once you get going, you’ll find that living life differently will be easy – you simply build one small step onto the next and before you know it your life will have changed without your knowing it!
You can find more great ideas on thinking and living differently in my free email series that is full of articles and videos that will help you to begin your journey – simply click here to start you on your way. There are also loads of practical and simple tips and activities in my book ‘Keep It Super Simple’ – you can buy a copy from my website.
Want to chat? Email me on email@example.com or call me on +61 438 624 868 and we’ll set up a time!
Bronwen Sciortino is a Simplicity Expert, Professional Speaker and the author of ‘Keep It Super Simple – Tips from a Recovering Perfectionist’. Join the conversation by subscribing to the tribe at her website; Facebook, Instagram, or LinkedIn.